Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tuesday Thingers...

From Boston Bibliophile: Today's topic: Book-swapping. Do you do it? What site(s) do you use? How did you find out about them? What do you think of them? Do you use LT's book-swapping column feature for information on what to swap? Do you participate in any of the LT communities that discuss bookswapping, like the Bookmooch group for example?

Right now, I don't do a lot of bookswapping. Most of my books are hardcover, and the swap sites seem more geared for paperbacks. Also, I'm kind of possessive about my books. Once I have them, I don't want to give them up - there is something wonderful about being surrounded by books. I do have an account on Bookmooch and I have plans to go through some of my shelves and decide what I would really like to get rid of, but I haven't been quite that ambitious yet.

I have swapped a couple of books through the discussions on LT - mostly Early Reviewer books that I wasn't motivated to keep. I do like to give books away, especially if I know they're going to someone who will really enjoy them.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is something wonderful about being surrounded by books, isn't there? I've been feeling a little guilty today about not being a better swapper or library patron, and I'm glad to see I'm not alone in liking to keep my books.

Anonymous said...

I agree that it's wonderful to see books in every room of the house, my shelves just change books. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I feel same as you! My book shelves are overflowing. I almost joined Bookmooch one day but backed out because it looked like too much work. I usually donate to our library sale.

Anonymous said...

I've looked into those book swapping sites too, but like you, I just can't bear the thought of parting with my books :)

Cathy said...

I'm possessive of my books, too, but my house has only so much room for shelves, the shelves are all full, and I refuse to pile them on the floor and all available flat surfaces. (My toes and elbows gave me an ultimatum.)The only thing for me to do is keep the ones I can't part with and either sell or swap out the rest so I can have new "inventory".

Anonymous said...

The last time I did a major "cleansing" of the bookshelves I sold a bunch on half.com (this was before the swap sites were so prominent/functional).

I'll probably list this next batch on PBS as I clean thru the shelves this summer ... It would be great to get "clean" copies of books I want in return!

S. Krishna said...

I'm possessive about books too, so I understand where you're coming from. Though I've traded hardback books on both BM and PBS without any problem!

Kathleen Gilligan said...

I agree, it's great to know that books will go to loving homes :)

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I treat my enjoyed books kinda like my kids ... I don't mind letting friends or family enjoy them for awhile, but it's a relief when they come home safe and sound!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on enjoying giving out books when you know the other person will enjoy them.

Leesy said...

Yes, you're another one with that, "Mine, mine, these books are all mine!" feeling like me. But seriously, BookMooch has been a wonderful find...if only because by getting rid of a few hated or ignored things I can get more, more, more books!

Breaking Free said...

I generally don't read most books more than once, so I'm happy to share the love. :) I just joined paperbackswap.com, and a lot of the books traded there are hardcover. Just FYI. I'm loving it, mostly loving opening my mailbox and having free books in it! :)

Bonnie said...

I swap books often and have found it is a great way to pass on books that I don't want to keep and to receive books that I do want to read. I've gotten some excellent books swapping at Bookmooch and Paperbackswap.

I found your blog from your Library Thing account as I read one of your posts. I just started a blog so please check it out:

http://redladysreadingroom-redlady.blogspot.com/

We're neighbors...I live nearby in Ohio!