Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tuesday Thingers...delayed


From The Boston Bibliophile, here's Tuesday's question: Since we're past the Fourth of July and the summer season has officially started, what are your plans for the summer? Vacations, trips? Trips that involve reading? Reading plans? If you're going somewhere, do you do any reading to prepare? Do you read local literature as part of your trip? Have you thought about using the LT Local feature to help plan your book-buying?

This is a perfect question for me right now! You might notice this Tuesday Thingers post is a little late - I just returned from 10 days in Europe on business; yesterday was spent making the trip home to Ohio from Amsterdam and because of work obligations, network access and the time difference, I didn't get a chance to post in time on Tuesday. It looks like, over the next several months, I will be doing a lot more traveling for work, and I always find travel time to be a great time for reading.

When I am traveling, I always pack several books - very handy on this last trip when I had an 8 hour flight delay in the Newark Airport. Plus I always find the need for a little quiet time, whether it's a business or pleasure trip, and relaxing with a book is a good way to do that.

For big vacation trips, I generally do some reading to prepare, usually guidebooks and a lot of internet research. I've never been big on reading the local authors before I go, I guess there are usually too many other things to do in prep. But using the LT Local thing is a great idea! I don't know how helpful it would have been on this last trip (trying to find a nice English-language bookstore in Amsterdam), but it's a great thought for some of the other business travel I have coming up.

7 comments:

Marie Cloutier said...

Wow. I think if I travelled that much, vacation would be staying home! :-)

Lisa said...

Well, this is fairly new. My job has always involved some travel, but it started out quarterly, worked its way to monthly, and I may be looking at 2-3 trips a month for the next 12-18 months! In a way it's kind of cool, because I enjoy working with our other locations, but it is tiring. And when it comes to business travel, you seldom go to places you would go on vacation, so I've learned to turn wherever I am into a vacation!

Anonymous said...

I just returned from 10 days in Europe on business... I will be doing a lot more traveling for work

Do you need a personal assistant? 'cuz, you know... I could go on your globetrotting business trips with you as your PA. :-D

Kathleen Gilligan said...

Wow ten days in Europe on business? I hope some of that was also pleasure?

Cathy said...

I'll help carry your books and keep people from interrupting your reading time...?

Lisa said...

Yes, some of it was pleasure (I was left to my own devices over the weekend and had some time to explore). Our corporate HQ is in Amsterdam, but this is the first chance I've had to go. And there are perks but believe me - business travel always sounds more fun than it really is...not that I would pass on the trips, mind you.

Anonymous said...

Yes, of course I too have planned a family trip to California for these holidays.