Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesday Thingers


Today's Question: Favorite Authors. Who do you have named in your LT account as favorite authors? Why did you choose them? How many people share your choices? Can you share a picture of one of them?
I haven't really paid much attention to this feature. I listed a few authors way back when and added one more recently, when I started working my way through a new author's series. So, here is my list, such as it is:

H. P. Lovecraft, 285 fans
Clive Barker, 109 fans
Arturo Perez-Reverte, 72 fans
Rex Stout, 71 fans
Robert B. Parker, 60 fans
Robert Crais, 42 fans

Wow - horror, mysteries and one Spanish dude. Interesting list. But naming someone a favorite seems like such a commitment. There are lots of authors I like, just like there are lots of books and movies I've enjoyed, but I always find it impossible to pick one favorite.

I wonder if anyone else has had as much trouble as I have with the way LibraryThing handles authors? For example, Rex Stout is listed twice - same spelling, no difference I can see - but one has a big question mark and one has a picture and a full listing. You can't search for the correct listing for Arturo Perez-Reverte unless you can figure out how to put the accent mark in his name (which I obviously can't). And I would have thought that avid readers would be a little more careful about how they spell an author's name!

And finally - a picture, both because Boston Bibliophile asked for it and because who doesn't like having a picture of a handsome fellow like Arturo Perez-Reverte on their blog?



13 comments:

jlshall said...

Yes, the multiple listings for authors on LT drives me crazy. Probably just my obsessive-compulsive tendencies getting the better of me, I know. Nice photo - I'm glad to see that Perez-Reverte is fairly popular.

Anonymous said...

You're right, we do have opposing lists. None of your authors sounds familiar to me!

Klarusu said...

I want to read some Lovecraft, never have and feel like I should because I think it might be something I enjoy. I'm now off to find out who Perez-Reverte is .... broadening my literary education! And yes, multiple LT listings drive me bananas! Sometimes I find an author listing for someone popular and it has the Great Question Mark and few books ... don't get it...

Lenore Appelhans said...

Interesting choices!

By the way, I got 2 copies of Confessions of a Contracter - one from you and one from the store so I am not sure what happened. Kinda weird huh?

Anonymous said...

The multiple authors bother me, too; I'm not sure why they can't just be combined! It confuses things.

Michele said...

Yes, that is one of the things about LT I'm not crazy about. To be honest, I've really drifted away from them altogether these days. Not sure why I feel guilty about that. ??

Anonymous said...

I am a lover of horror, but don't read as much as I use to. And I love Robert Crais. :)

Traci said...

The multiple author listings is really annoying. I've never read anything by any of yuor favorites. I do have Abarat (sp?) by Cliver Barker on my TBR list, though.

Lisa said...

Oh, bermuda, I think everyone should read a little Lovecraft. A little Cthulu is good for the soul!

Lenore, I'm glad you got 2 books! They apparently gave one to me and shipped one to you!

j. kaye, I needed a new detective series since Robert B Parker has really stopped putting out great stuff, and Elvis Cole is a fellow a gal can moon over.

Marie Cloutier said...

He IS rather handsome... :-)

Anonymous said...

We need more questions that encourage us to post pics of good-looking men! :)

I don't think I've read any on your list, except *maybe* a Clive Barker ...

I agree, naming a favorite sounds so *final*

Anonymous said...

I don't have any of those authors, but I do think your Spanish author is quite handsome. Throw in his accent and... :)

S. Krishna said...

Ooh, I'm a big fan of Perez-Reverte. Haven't read anything by him in awhile though.