Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday!


Here we are, another Wednesday, another chance to learn some new words! These are from Scottsboro - we got a Teaser yesterday and we'll get a review later this week. For now, here some interesting words from the Depression:

1. "Unlike most of my friends, I had not even bothered to buy a dime-store wedding band when I had gone to a clinic to be fitted for a pessary."

Pessary: diaphragm: a contraceptive device

2. "I did not need Mrs. Gorse to tell me that pellagra, scurvy, rickets and beriberi ran rampant."

Pellagra: a vitamin deficiency disease caused by lack of niacin (vitamin B3).
Beriberi: a vitamin deficiency caused by lack of thiamine (vitamin B1)
(And just in case you hadn't seen them before, scurvy is caused by a lack of vitamin C and rickets is caused by a lack of vitamin D.)

3. "The audience took a few minutes to quiet sufficiently for her to take the chair representing the witness stand and repeat the testimony she had given in the courtroom, edited for dramatic purposes and delivered with a brio she had not shown in Decatur."

Brio: animation; spirited or alive and vigorous

4. "The only difference was the contingent of twelve Negroes among the one hundred veniremen."

Veniremen: A potential juror summoned for duty.

I don't usually find a bunch of words that I don't know well! This was really interesting! What words did you learn this week?

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

How did the week go by so quickly? Scottsboro sure has some terrific words in it. I've heard of beriberi, but didn't know that's how it's spelled - the rest of the words are new to me. I think I can squeeze brio into a sentence before the day's out. Thanks for participating!

Lisa notes... said...

I like that you also gave us some nutritional info as well. Sounds like an interesting book!

Margot said...

You have some interesting words this weak but I especially like brio. I think I can use that today to describe the behavior of a person I know. I'm looking forward to your review of Scottsboro.

gautami tripathy said...

The last two are new to me. Thanks!

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Anonymous said...

All new words to me.