Friday, December 4, 2009

A lovely idea for the holidays: The Dewey Tree


Those of you who frequent a number of book blogs may be familiar with Dewey, a well-known blogger who passed away this time last year. She was a force in the on-line community - sponsoring and supporting a variety of the events we all participate in. Lisa at Online Publicist came up with a lovely idea to comemmorate Dewey and spread the charitable spirit around the holidays.

Here's how it works

"Here's what you do: Gather up the books you can live without. It can be 4
books, 10 books, or 20 books! Find a worthy group you would like to donate your overflow books to. It can be your local library, a literacy campaign (mine will go to the literacy center I volunteer for), or overseas. There's a great list of
book donation sites here on the ALA. Find a charity that speaks to you!*Then take a picture of your donation and email it to me (onlinepublicist [AT] gmail [DOT] com). It can be a pic of the mailing label on your package, one of your kids giving a box of books to a librarian, or you handing books over to your literacy center. Be creative and have fun!"

I will definitely be pulling together a pile of books. I can think of several local charities that might be able to use them (my local library is kind of funny about donations). I sometimes forget that although I consider books a necessity, for others they are a luxury, a luxury they set aside when there is barely enough for food and shelter. I hope these find their way into the hands of someone who will really enjoy them.

For more information, check out Lisa's post on The Dewey Tree.

3 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Such a great idea! I have a box of books ready to go to my public library. Not sure I'll get there before I leave for the states for Christmas, but if I do, I'll take a photo.

Anonymous said...

i here you

Lisa Roe said...

Thank you so much for supporting The Dewey Tree project! It wouldn't be awesome without you. :-)