Saturday, March 28, 2009

Books on TV!


Attention fans of Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series: starting tomorrow night, HBO will begin airing a new series, based on the novels! I don't have HBO anymore, so I hope someone stops by to tell me if the show is any good. (And a big thank you to Dave over at Read Street for the heads-up!)

You know, I have noticed several television series recently coming out of popular novels: Dexter, Secret Diary of a Call Girl, True Blood, The Dresden Files, Blood Ties. At least tv is doing a better job than the movie industry, which seems to just be remaking its own product over and over.

8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

We don't get HBO. :(

The Tome Traveller said...

I rarely regret not getting HBO, but I sure wish I had it for this! I have read excellent reviews of the HBO version. And I love the books. Guess I'll have to wait for the DVD!

Carey

Literary Feline said...

I can't wait; I can't wait! I'm really looking forward to seeing this tonight.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving it - episode 3 starts on BBC1 in half an hour.

Lenore Appelhans said...

I need to read one of these books to see what all the fuss is about. I have been to Botswana after all!

Lisa said...

I have to say that I didn't love the first book in the series - cozy mysteries aren't really my thing, I guess. I can imagine that it might be much better as a tv show, so I hope it does well.

I have noticed several shows recently coming out of popular novels: Dexter, Secret Diary of a Call Girl, True Blood, Blood Ties, The Dresden Files. At least tv is doing a better job than the movie industry, which seems to just be remaking its own product over and over.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

It's times like this that I wish I had HBO!

Literary Feline said...

I really liked the first episode, Lisa. Jill Scott and the rest of the cast were wonderful and I thought the show caught the tone of the books very well.