Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Teaser Tuesday


I have been a very bad blogger this week. I have at least three reviews, half-written and saved as drafts. I have finished one book (The Disappearance, by Efrem Sigel) and I haven't even started that review. I have picked up and put down half a dozen new books in the last 2 days, but I've gotten no reading done. It's good to be home after a long business trip (5 weeks), but it's hard to settle into the old rhythms again.

So, in the hopes that posting a couple of teasers will help me settle on a new book, here's what I'm looking over this week. First, from The World Without Us by Alan Weisman:

"The wrecking crews weren't just trees, Munir marveled, but also flowers. Tiny seeds of wild Cyprus cyclamen had wedged themselves into cracks, germinated, and heaved aside entire slabs of concrete. Streets now rippled with white cyclamen combs and their pretty, variegated leaves."

You know that appeals to my great love of post-apocalypse stories - and this has the advantage of being non-fiction. I could consider it research. Next, from Lethal Legacy by Linda Fairstein:

"'I hope they've got good insurance at the morgue,' Mike said, taking a last slug of his drink. 'Between that murder weapon and the little psalm book, there's enough burglary bait there to tempt the dead.'"

Okay, now you know something interesting is going to happen at the morgue tonight, right? Now, the last quote is from Badlands by Richard Montanari. He's a local guy, made it big - I met him a couple of years ago at a book club meeting - and I love his work. (Handsome fellow, too. That doesn't help his writing, but it makes book signings more fun.) This one has been sitting on my shelf and I think it might be time to skip over the ARCs and read something just for me:

"Instead, on the sidewalk in front of the entrance, she leaned into him and gave him on of the softest, most seductive kisses on the cheek he'd ever received. The kiss promised redemption, if not life eternal."

That's pretty promising, wouldn't you say? And since Richard's books are normally about gruesome murders and crazed killers, full of twists and turns are terrifying moments, it's good to know there are a few softer moments awaiting.

So, what do you think? Where should I start?

18 comments:

Melissa said...

My husband really liked World Without Us; but I think the last one sounds the most enticing. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm very taken by your teaser from World WithoutUs, but all three look good. Decisions, decisions!

Kaye said...

5 weeks away that is a long time. But you have some good choices there. My teaser is here under the Galway Bay tour post.

Mo said...

Oh, well I luv me a good Fairstein drama, but I've also had "The World Without Us" on my wanna-read list for some time, and your teaser just makes me want to read it all the more! I think I'd start there...

Whatever you begin with, I hope it's engaging - have a great week...

drey said...

Hi Lisa! Thanks for stopping by & leaving a link! =)

All 3 teasers sound good, I'd probably lean more towards the latter two - they seem much lighter reads! =)

avisannschild said...

Ah, I can identify both with feeling like a bad blogger and with having trouble picking a book to read! In terms of the three choices here, well, personally the first one is the one that grabs me the most (it's a great teaser!), but then the other two don't really sound like my type of books. Happy reading, whatever you pick next!

Anonymous said...

All good choices, but I vote for Badlands. I'm wondering what happens next.

Lisa said...

Oh, come on Stacy! You *know* what happens next...

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Thanks for all the teasers!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I like the second one!

Teaser

jlshall said...

Those are all good teasers. I've been intrigued by The World Without Us for a while now, but I find all those post-apocalypse books just a little depressing, so I've stayed away so far. I know the world is gonna go on without me, but it's not something I really want to think about too much!

Jo-Jo said...

They all sound good but that last one sounds so romantic! My teaser is here.

Anonymous said...

I say go for the Linda Fairstein. After five weeks on the road you need to just treat yourself to something engaging.

Staci said...

I loved all of your teasers but especially the last one!!

Anonymous said...

I've just come out of my own reading funk lately too, I hope you get your rhythm back soon. Love the teaser, very descriptive!

Caspette said...

Great sets of teasers there. Lethal Legacy appealed to me.

CeeCee said...

It's hard to get back into the reading swing when you've been away. All your teasers sound interesting.

Alice said...

All the three teasers sound good. The last one sounds tender. :)