Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays!



Okay, you all know the rules. Take your current book and pick out a quote - two sentences that are interesting andcompeling and make us want to read it. (Does anyone really pick a random sentence?) No spoilers, please!

Today, my spoiler is from The Disappearance by Efrem Sigel. It is the story of Joshua and Nathalie Sandler and the disappearance of their 14-year-old son, Daniel. It's heartbreaking to see how something like this can tear a family apart. And how well do parents really know their teenagers? Not all that well, if the Sandler's experience is anything to judge by:

"To his shock, he realizes that all these observations apply to Dan. He must have had, did have a secret life - a communal secret life, involving a whole other cast of characters, a performance place, a range of behaviors that Joshua and Nathalie knew nothing about."

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this the story about the young boy that was so addicted to video games, he left home when his parents took away his computer and gaming systems? I was watching a W5 documentary just this past weekend that fits the scenario of your teaser — such a sad and shocking family tragedy. :(

jlshall said...

Yes, I suppose that's true of most children and parents. I can't imagine what it must be like to have a child disappear, or how a parent handles that sort of trauma.

Melissa O. said...

Great teaser! Glad you enjoyed mine, too :-)

Karen Harrington said...

Oh, that gives me chills just to think of the situation. Intriguing!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a parent yet, but I've been a teenager, and I definitely remember keeping a lot of stuff from my parents!

Anonymous said...

A parent's worst nightmare. Good teaser that brought out the anxiety in me.

Books Fall Open said...

I definitely agree with Betty. I wasn't a teenager that long ago, and I definitely kept stuff from them!

Sherrie said...

HI!
That so sounds like a teenager. They are good a keeping secrets! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

So, I shouldn't read this when I need something light and funny?

Beth F said...

Scary for a parent!

Kaye said...

This has to be every parent and grandparent's nightmare. Thanks for visiting today,Lisa.

zetor said...

I reiterate, 'every parents' nightmare'.

Lisa said...

Wanda: no, it's a novel. His parents go to the store, come home, and he's gone. I don't know how much closure there is, but it's all about the father's search for him and the things he finds out about their son.

Stacy, it's definitely not beach reading. You always hope for a happy ending, but there are so many terrible things that can happen.

Anonymous said...

Yikes, sounds deep and thought provoking.

Anonymous said...

That's really chilling. I know the story Wanda was talking about; it happened her in Ontario.

Really horrifying either way. And the parents will always blame themselves. But kids always keep their own secrets. I know I did. I think it's a myth that parents know their kids "better than anyone." In my experience, they probably know them if not the least of anyone, at least no better than anyone else.

Anyway. Here's mine

Nise' said...

Scary indeed.

Wendi said...

Wow - sounds like a pretty serious read.

Here's my Teaser! ~ Wendi

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Sounds like a scary realization. Good teaser!

avisannschild said...

This sounds like an interesting read.

My TT post is here.